Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 9 - A Slight Change of Scenery

The tent has been moved at least 100 feet off the Trail, and seemingly, to a perfect spot. Fairly level, not as bumpy, and the ground was not quite as hard as the previous spot.
I must say, though, I had second thoughts about staying here. I have a friend who offered to take me in as a boarder, and the offer was so tempting.
After all, here I am, unable to eat much at a time, dirty, wet altogether too often. I've been through the worst of it, hiking-wise as long as I stay here. What more is there to accomplish?
Well, there's the original goal - 3 months camping and hiking. Even if I trudge the same paths over and over again, even if I have nothing new to blog about for weeks, the goal was to make me healthier and to give me time to write.
I did take a bit of a hike southbound, for about an hour, with a light pack. I did not run into any other camp sites and the nearest shelter southbound is 9 miles south of here.
For what it's worth, I intend to rewrite the first 5 days of the blog as an article and to see if anyone is willing to pay to publish it.
That said, another worry has come up. It rained harder and longer than ever last night and the tent developed leaks. If this continues into the summer, I fear the tent will not survive near daily thunderstorms that frequent the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment