Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 8 - Craptacular Day

Prepare to be grossed out. You have been warned.
Today I had planned on sending my blog out to a friend via Post Office, and picking up supplies. So much for planning.
As I was preparing to head out, I got an unexpected bowel movement. By unexpected, I mean I had little warning. I didn't even have time to get out of the tent and to a safe distance before this loose bowel movement filled my underwear, and stained my pants.
In retrospect I guess I should have expected it. I had eaten the last 2 days without much going on. The biggest problem, though, was that I only had the one pair of pants. I hobbled back to the tent, took off my boots so I could take off the pants, and then half-naked made my way to the stream in an effort to clean things out. The bank was steep, but I was desperate, and just clad in socks, I splashed into the water, pounding both the underwear and the pants on a rock to try to get them clean.
The water was cold. I did my best to clean myself up, got the crap out of the pants and underwear, dragged myself up the bank in wet, frozen socks, and put the pants and underwear against the tent in an effort to dry it.
After mostly sunny weather the previous days, this was one day where the sun never came out. It made drying next to impossible.
Yet I left the pants to dry and went back inside the tent, put on some clean underwear, and just lay on the sleeping bag , trying to do some more writing.
It rained off and on during part of the day, and since my supplies were starting to wear a bit thin, I decided in the afternoon to put the pants on however they were and make the trek to 220. I did not hit the Post Office. I'm quite certain, though, that I stank up the convenience store. I did manage to get some supplies, most notably toilet paper and more Beanie-Weanies. My appetite was marginally back and I thought they would help.
The trip to 220 was a bit gruesome. What was a convenient downhill portion going south once again proved hard going the other way. But it was not too difficult or too far. What made it easier was a near-empty pack going both ways.
On the way back I met someone who maintains the Trail, who told me in no uncertain terms that I could not camp there. I suppose it was okay if I was just camping overnight before going on with the Trail, but I just could not stay there day after day. I had to be 100 feet off the Trail, or the Law would come. I expect he would have been the person to contact the Law. What I wanted to know was, where was he when I was desperate for water?
Still the Law is the Law and I made plans to move yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment