Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Aftermath

A few notable occurrences since coming back from the Trail:
I spent a morning in the Emergency Room in Wake Med, trying to determine why I had no appetite and why my hands were numb so much. The prognosis: Muscle Fatigue. I was pumped full of fluids and released. I'm not convinced of the diagnosis, because I still have occasional numbness even after 6 days.
I spent a night in a homeless shelter, trying to get in touch with my friend who offered to take me in. One night was enough.
All it took for me to get my appetite back was one salad.
I did lose weight, but I'm not sure how much. My chest is thinner, my legs are muscle wrapped in loose flesh. The belly still protrudes. I was exhausted when my friend took me in, and still there are times when I feel too weak to do much more than rest.
My lower back, which gave me fits when trying to sit inside the tent, is still giving me fits, but the spasms are slowly subsiding.

Here are a few things I learned while on the Trail.
1. Hiking with Diabetes should be under a doctor's care. And for God's sake, if you're not in good condition stay away from the Appalachian Trail. It's not for beginners.
2. Never take water for granted. Always have a backup.
3. Take some fresh food/greens with you. It may not last long, but often it's better for you than prepackaged foods.
4. Don't take a week's worth of food with you. Usually a couple of days is enough.
5. Just when you think you're prepared enough for an extended hike, start over and make sure you have everything you need and you aren't carrying anything you don't need.

I ask myself daily if the expenditures I went through in preparing for this hike were worth it. I ask if giving every penny I had for this trip made it any easier, or just made matters worse.
I have yet to be able to answer that question one way or another.
One thing I will say, is it gave me things to write about that I never had before. It gave me a sense of living that I haven't had before. But as to whether it was worth it, that question may never be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment