Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 5 - Back in Civilization

The day started cool as always, though I tried my best to get started earlier each day. For some reason this day the tent would simply not go into its bag. I tried folding it different ways, and nothing worked. Finally, rather than waste any more energy on it, I said 'Frak it!', just rolled it up and stuck the tent, sans bag to my pack.
Once everything was set, I went back to the brook, drank my fill, waved a fond goodbye to that brook and headed out.
The way to 220 was open and ready to go. Up the small hill where I camped the first time, down to the road where I had to beg for water for the first time, under the interstate, up the steps to the Trail, and then downhill all the way home, right?
Wrong. Remember my first day's blog, where I mentioned going downhill, and was really glad I wasn't going southbound? Well I was going southbound now.
It was not an easy climb, or a short one. It was long and grueling. But it was the last major obstacle between me and supplies. I reached the peak, looked out and could see civilization in the distance.
Sometime around 1pm I broke out on to 220, and the first thing to catch my eye was a convenience store just off the path. It even had benches outside, I assume for the large number of hikers who come by there. I certainly made full use of a bench, catching my breath, dumping my pack and just taking in the enormity of what I'd done.
While in the store, I bought 2 bottles of OJ, 4 bottles of soda, and 4 bottles of actual water. I also bought 2 packages of egg-salad sandwiches and a copy of the Roanoke Times. Around $16 spent that day.
I came out, sat on the bench, and downed one bottle of OJ on the spot. I then tried to eat one of the sandwiches, and could not eat more than a bite, even when washing it down. The soda also stuck in my craw, the syrup in it not wanting to go down. I suspected I had problems with my throat, but hoped they would ease with time.
I stuffed the food in my jacket, the bottles into my back, dumped some of the trash that had accumulated, including many packages of sunflower seeds, the old package of tuna I could never finish and the can of Beanie Weanies. I read the paper while my strength rebuilt itself.
After a long time, with a couple of people asking if I was okay (I was certainly better!), I had enough strength to leave that paradise and find the entrance to the southbound Trail. It was across the street, and after dodging traffic, I made the climb back onto the Trail.
The southbound Trail was somewhat different than the northbound. It did go up for a little while, but it also went down, and the going was much easier, especially with a somewhat full stomach and my fluid levels much higher. I did have to make several stops along the say, and a couple and their dog passed me on one such stop. The dog did not like me at all, growling. The girl said she (the dog) was just afraid of me.
I wanted to laugh, because I was prone and in no condition for a fight, yet the dog was afraid of me.
Anyway, they passed, the dog keeping its distance. I regained my strength and started going again.
It didn't take long before a clearing appeared, and I could hear water rushing. I passed what looked like the foundation of a house that was never built, a concrete slab. A bit further on, I saw more concrete and a brook passing under that bulwark, coming out very fast on the other side.
Hiking with Diabetes,Appalachian Trail
On the other side of the bulwark, a small clearing appeared, and I set up camp there. It was still close to the Trail, and I wasn't absolutely sure if this was the camp the other hikers had mentioned, but it was good enough for me for a few days rest.
After getting the basic tent set up, I tried to relax, and the floor of the tent was definitely not the most comfortable, yet was good enough. Shortly after dark fell, it began to rain. The flycatcher had not been set up, and the back of the tent was open to the sky. The first night was spent in much discomfort. Yet my attitude was better, certainly because I had water and soda, and some fresh food. Also, since I thought I'd be camping there for a few days, my outlook was better. I slowly ate the rest of the sandwich, and downed a soda. I found that if I took my time, everything went down in the end.
The rain lasted most of the night, not hard, but consistent. I guess I should have paid better attention to the weather page on that paper I read, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment