Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 10 - Outta Here

The previous night's rain, in retrospect, was not a fluke. Looking at the forecast in the Sunday paper, it called for rain tonight and the next 2 nights. The tent won't stand it. I can't spend half my nights bailing myself out and avoiding drops. The grand experiment is over.
I broke camp, headed for civilization and called the people who run the shuttle service for a ride to Roanoke.
Sadly, because it was a Sunday, I wound up paying $17 more for the trip from Roanoke to Raleigh than I did the other way around. My monetary resources have been drained.
I got back into Raleigh after an uneventful bus ride. Uneventful, yet still demoralizing. I had failed in my goal of living off the land for 90 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment